Monday, October 20, 2008

... and I'll be bossy ...




Rehearsals are an important part of wedding preparation. Not only does the rehearsal allow the couple, and the bridal party, to practice "getting to the altar," but it also allows the participants to get caught up in the emotion, or make mistakes, prior to the ceremony.

For instance, the father of the bride may be surprised to become misty-eyed as he answers the question, "Who presents this woman in marriage?" (And if his eyes are full of tears, he may accidentally step on the bride's train. Oh, no!)

Or, the maid of honor may drop the wedding ring. If happens during rehearsal, with the "practice ring," we all get to laugh and say, "Well, at least we got that mishap out of the way!"

I'm very hands-on as an officiant. I enjoy conducting the rehearsal, not only to make sure that everyone knows what they're going to do on wedding day, but also so I get to meet the family and key participants. If the groomsmen like to kid around, or the flower girl is going to cry and refuse to walk down the aisle, I like to know ahead of time.

So I always start the rehearsal by introducing myself and the purpose. "Hello! My name is Reverend Jeri Murphy, and I have the honor of officiating at tomorrow's wedding ceremony. And today, I am going to be a little bossy."

So there. I've told everyone that if they don't pay attention, I'll get after them. Not so much because I like to be in control -- LOL! -- but, as I tell them, "I want to make sure that the bride and groom are so comfortable with what is going to happen on their wedding day, that they are not thinking about where people stand, or what comes next. They are only thinking, 'I am so glad to be here, marrying the love of my life.'"

This past Thursday, Rachelle and Andrew and a few of their dear friends and family members gathered at Frasinetti's Winery in Sacramento for rehearsal. There were stairs to be gracefully climbed, candles to be lit, rings to be exchanged, a kiss to be practiced (and practiced, and practiced; yay!) ... and we practiced, questioned, adjusted, and practiced again until Andrew and Rachelle felt comfortable. (We even talked about what we would do if the train came by during the ceremony. It did, and we were prepared!)

Due to our preparation, and because Andrew and Rachelle are such a perfect match, Friday's wedding went without a hitch -- except, or course, for the "I now pronounce you husband and wife" hitch.

Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Weiss!

No comments: