Thursday, October 9, 2008

AFWPI and networking


Although I think of myself as a friendly person, my "shy" side emerges whenever I attend a networking function. Perhaps it's my middle-aged memory that trips me up, or the fact that I get a little tongue-tied when meeting new people in the wedding business. Whatever the reason, networking isn't my forte.

However, I do enjoy attending the AFWPI monthly mixers, where I get to connect with other wedding vendors and, often, put faces with the names of people with whom I swap emails!

This Tuesday's mixer was held at Le Rivage, a new wedding site on the river -- in the south part of Sacramento, off I-5. I had arranged to meet my new friend, Della (a new wedding officiant), at the mixer and introduce her to some of the AFWPI members. So many friendly people came over to say hello to us; I hope Della enjoyed meeting them. (And if she remembers ANY of their names, she gets extra memory points!)

The weather was perfect, the music was provided by a live jazz band, Caribbean Jazz Q-tet, with Emcee duties going to Music on the Move, another of my favorite DJ companies. (Doug, Doug and Dara are some of the most fun and professional DJs I've ever worked with! PLUS, they always provide me with a great sound system, so all the guests can hear my ceremonies. Thanks, Music on the Move!)

The mixer was also an opportunity for me to catch up on some business news ... Shannon has moved over to Le Rivage, as has Kellie; Amanda goes on maternity leave in about a month; videographer Eric Leas (of Acti-Video Productions) and his lovely wife expect their baby early in November. Lots of news to catch up on!

The food was provided by Scott's Seafood, which is affiliated with Le Rivage. (As a vegan, I didn't eat anything ... but saw many big smiles by those who were eating. Looked like an endorsement of the food!)

So ... this month's networking was a fun experience. I really, really enjoy so many of the members of AFWPI -- both as great people and as professionals. And as always, I am so glad I attended the mixer!

For anyone planning a wedding, be sure to look at AFWPI's website for a directory of great wedding professionals! (And don't forget to check out the "links" page on my website: www.RevJeriMurphy.com. If they're on my list, they're professionals who do great work!)

No comments: